Blogs can be so deceiving. We only share what we want. So rather than sharing a thought out blog post, family activity or recipe, here are 12 things behind this blog on a very hectic travel Tuesday I am having. It’s my brain dump blog post while I fly on three segments from a small town in South Dakota airport (yes I sometimes “cross the border” to the south side) to Miami for a 24 hour speaking engagement I am doing for work.
1. The teenager had his first ever double header Babe Ruth baseball games last night. The girls and I went which was about 60 miles away. It was a stunning night. So stunning that I pulled over on the side of the road to take pictures of the sun in the western sky and I’ll share those later this week. The boys lost a game by a run and then won a big game. It was full of lessons learned for Hunter. By the end of today, he will have played four games in 24 hours.
2. Baseball games went long and we came home after 10PM. Knowing my alarm would be going off at 3:30AM, I quickly tucked the girls into bed, packed, organized as best I could, chatted with my hubby and then tried to sleep–fast.
3. My alarm went off at 3:30AM. I saw day break as drove 112 miles to a FARTHER airport from our home because it much cheaper to fly from these days.
4. I left the house with wet hair and no make up but I peaked in on my sleeping kids and wrote them a note, completed with color crayons before departing. And thankfully my thoughtful husband set the coffee maker timer.
I felt alive with coffee even at 4:47AM when I saw daybreak on the prairie. And no, I did not look as happy as the above picture. Blogs are deceiving at times remember?
5. Today is the local school board election in our small town. My husband is up for election as he was appointed to the board last fall. Election results will be tallied tonight. Drum roll…and cross your fingers.
6. By very, very late tomorrow night my flurry of business travel this week will be over. Then for a couple days and into the weekend. I’m spending days like this…
eating breakfast on the deck with my favorite kiddos,
weeding and watering plants and our garden (possibly in our pajamas like Miss E did the other day) and there will be more baseball games of Hunter’s.
7. By the weekend, we will be gathered with family to see 300 turkeys barbequed over an open pit for what I believe is one of rural America’s greatest small town events, the Aneta Turkey Barbeque. My grandpa has been cooking turkeys at this event for all 51 years of it and it’s a “can’t miss” event for us.
8. After the Turkey BBQ, I’ll be serving pie at the Lutheran ladies basement “lunch” stand with my mom. All homemade pies and I’ll pretend I made them.
9. No matter how much is behind the blog, make it be known: my laundry is not done. It’s piled high. Much of it is now clean, in our bedroom, some folded, some not. But my girls have outfits laid out and organized so Daddy can easily dress them when I am away.
10. I tripped over my son’s shoes and baseball bag trying to get out the door this morning at 4AM. Of course he had dropped everything right inside the mud room when he walked in the door last night.
11. The weeds are higher than the corn in our garden. I am going to try to change that on Thursday. Maybe.
12. My Wordless Wednesday blog hop will be up late tonight for you link up to if you are interested.
There you have it. 12 things that are behind this blog on my crazy travel Tuesday.
What’s keeping you busy today?
Ah, see, this is why we are so similar, even in our differences. The weeds will wait, your children are wonderful and I can’t wait to reconnect. Safe travels, my dear, safe travels.
Lisa @ Two Bears Farm says
And I thought I was doing well getting up at 4:30 am for a work event on the other side of the state. Whew! It’s all worth it 🙂 Safe travels!
Prairie Mother says
I’m in awe that you have the energy after that little sleep to post on your blog! Have a good trip and WOW do those turkeys look cool! What a neat event! Have fun with your kiddos when you get home.
Happy travels! Good luck to your husband!
oh boy. i just got up from a nap… i feel guilty! 🙂
it is dang-blasted hot here and dry so nothing’s growing. the few plants i keep get watered every day to try to keep them alive. no weeds worth worrying about. no grass either for that matter. coffee? hurray for the morning pick-me-up! and i ran into town today and mailed your package!!! 🙂
Kelly M. Rivard says
After the last few days, I feel I can whole-heartedly sympathize with you in regards to crazy travel schedules! I don’t know how you do it all, though. I could barely get myself to California in one piece, I can’t imagine managing a family while doing all these things. Great post, Katie. Very candid!
Laundry is keeping me busy! I am out of school for summer, but it seems worse now! Painted the kitchen and family room and it made me crazy! Washed curtains and baseboards. Yuck! But it is finished! I don’t know how you do it with all of your travels! Kudos to you!
Emily @Zweber Farms says
You make me tired just reading this! I hope you get your breakfast on the deck by the end of the week.
We have been back and forth, back and forth between hay fields and farm all week. Not to mention, my PC gave me the blue screen of death (yep blogged from phone on Monday) and my car is in the shop, which makes getting my son to VBS very interesting.
All in all, I am finally catching my breath and I will be linking up to WW in the morning 😉
I so love reading about other “normal lives”:)))